Monday, August 4, 2008

A note on analysts

I'm sorry that I have not been posting for a while. My investments were losing money at a very rapid pace and although I continued to invest, I felt like my advice had lost a great of credibility and, perhaps, verity. However, with my recent success, completely attributed to Ambac (thanks, Michael Callen!), I feel invigorated enough to start posting again.

No stock tips in this post - just a short rant. I find Fortune's recent article on Oppenheimer & Co.'s Meredith Whitney to be borderline hilarious. For some reason, Fortune loves Whitney, naming her their #2 stock analyst of 2007 (whatever that means). My question is, why does Whitney get so much praise? We are currently in a bear market. She has been making bearish calls. It should be no surprise that at least one analyst that gets it right, because there are predictions across the board. Forbes notes that her stock picking record has been average.

There is a great Russian joke on this subject:
Reagan has 100 bodyguards, and one of them is a terrorist, but he doesn't know which one.
Mitterrand has 100 lovers, and one of them has HIV, but he doesn't know which one.
Gorbachev has 100 economic advisers, and one of them is right, but he doesn't know which one.

No comments: